Drought and climate change, changing industry demand, and concerns around environmental sustainability have driven major water policy and management reforms across Australia.
Aither’s advisors have been at the forefront of these reforms, driving the design, analysis and implementation of best practice water policy both in Australia and internationally.
We help design efficient and effective solutions to complex water resource management issues. Our approach is based on sound economic, strategic and policy principles and an intimate appreciation of the water sector at the local, state and national level.
- Strategy development for early phase policy and program design, including problem definition and scoping objectives and priorities
- Policy development and analysis to support improved water resource management – informed by in-depth knowledge of the Australian water sector
- Evaluation and reviews of water sector policies and programs to assess performance and inform improvements over time
- Economic appraisal for water policies and programs to support implementation and evaluation
- Facilitation and stakeholder engagement skills coupled with deep knowledge of the Australian water sector and best practice water resource management
- Monitoring and evaluation frameworks for water resource management programs and initiatives
Selected Project Experience
Review of socio-economic neutrality under Murray-Darling Basin Plan (2017)
Aither reviewed policy provisions relating to socio-economic neutrality requirements for further water recovery under the Murray-Darling Basin Plan. The review informed intergovernmental deliberations relating to the finalisation of Basin Plan implementation activities.
NSW Water Reform Action Plan (2018)
Aither was engaged by the NSW Department of Industry as part of the NSW Water Reform Action Plan to undertake an independent economic analysis of metering options for licensed groundwater and surface water users in NSW. This included analysis of the current extent of water take measurement in NSW and the costs and benefits of various policy options.
Supporting Aboriginal access to water for economic development (2018)
Aither was engaged to support the development of a roadmap for delivering Victoria’s commitment to improve access to water for Traditional Owner and Aboriginal people for economic development. The project included extensive stakeholder engagement to inform advice on options for deploying investment under the roadmap, governance arrangements, guidelines and assessment criteria for funding proposals.